Match Recap | St Louis CITY2 Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Edge Sporting Kansas City II in Shootouts for Two Points


Forward Caden Glover scored his first professional goal

Returning to CITYPARK after earning two points against LAFC2 last week, CITY2 recovered from a two-goal deficit against SKC II to notch a draw and then secure an additional point in shootouts.

CITY2 put their cross-state rivals on notice early, forcing their way into Sporting Kansas City II’s defensive third in the opening minutes. Off a beautiful heel flick, defender Akil Watts centered the ball to forward Caden Glover, but the on-target shot from inside the box rolled directly to the SKC II goalkeeper. The visitors responded with an offensive push of their own and won a free kick just outside CITY2’s box, crossing the ensuing set piece on goal where it bounced between a group of players before being booted in by an SKC II attacker.

SKC II pushed their lead to 2-0 in the 25th minute, heading in a cross that glided just past a well-positioned CITY2 defender. Looking to narrow the deficit, the home side intensified their defensive aggressiveness as the half moved forward. After stealing the ball from SKC II around midfield, CITY2 attackers caught their opponents out of position in transition to set up a dangerous chance. A sensational flick from midfielder Isak Jensen fed Glover perfectly for a shot as he cut behind SKC II’s backline, but the play was ruled offsides just as Glover’s ball hit net, negating the goal.

But Glover’s first professional goal would come soon enough. Just after halftime, CITY2 crept into SKC II’s defensive third once again. After an initial shot rebounded off the opponent’s goalkeeper, Glover cleaned up the play and put the ball away to make it 2-1. With SKC II still reeling, CITY2 attackers sliced their way back into threatening territory in front of their opponent’s goal, where Watts eventually received a pass from Jensen and netted the equalizer in the 63rd minute.

Looking to recapture the momentum, SKC II launched an attack a few minutes later that led to a prime scoring opportunity, but a diving save from goalkeeper Ben Lundt kept the score tied. As regulation time waned, CITY2 had the best chance by either team to take the lead when midfielder Max Schneider sent a shot on frame from outside the box in the 90th minute, but the strike was handled by SKC II’s goalkeeper.

After earning a point in regulation following the 2-2 draw, CITY2earned an extra point following their 5-4victory in shootouts. Lundt saved SKC II’s first shot, allowing for defender Ezra Armstrong to seal the game after the players from both teams put home all their other shots.


CITY2 hits the road for a mid-week clash against Portland Timbers2 at Providence Park in Portland, Oregon.


Caden Glover (Wan Kuzain 72’), Max Schneider, Ezra Armstrong, John Klein (Faysal Bettache 61’), Michael Wentzel ©, Ben Lundt, Isak Jensen, Aziel Jackson, Akil Watts (AJ Palazzolo 83’), Owen O’Malley (Sergio Rivas 83’), Josh Yaro


Ryley Gibbs, Fritz Volmar, Dida Armstrong,  Christian Olivares, Larsen Hackworth