CITY2 faces San Jose Earthquakes II on Sunday
St Louis CITY2 will host San Jose Earthquakes II in the first round of the MLS NEXT Pro playoffs on Sunday, October 1 at 5 p.m. CT at CITYPARK.
St Louis CITY2, the defending MLS NEXT Pro Western Conference Champion, ended the regular-season on a 10-game unbeaten streak, with a record of 7-3-0. CITY2’s unbeaten streak of ten games began on July 23 against San Jose Earthquakes II.
Since then, CITY2 has earned the most points in MLS NEXT Pro (24) over that span. CITY2 has shattered MLS NEXT Pro’s attendance record twice throughout the regular season, the first against Tacoma Defiance on August 6 (9,489) and most recently against LA Galaxy II on September 17 (9,626).
NEW MLS NEXT PRO PLAYOFF FORMAT
The 2023 season will feature an expanded playoffs format which includes a pick-your-opponent element in the first two rounds.
The Playoffs will consist of three rounds followed by MLS NEXT Pro Cup, taking place over four consecutive weeks beginning the weekend of September 29. The club with the most regular season points in each conference (#1 seed) will earn a first-round bye, automatically advancing to the Conference Semifinals.
- The next two teams with the most points in each conference (#2 and #3 seeds) will choose their opponent and host their match (one of two teams must be the other division champion)
- The two remaining teams that are not selected will play each other, with the higher seeded team hosting. St Louis CITY2 and San Jose Earthquakes II were not selected hence why CITY2 will host Earthquakes II on Sunday.
- The team with the most overall points in the conference (#1 seed) will choose its opponent from the remaining two lowest seeded teams and host the match
- The second highest seed will host the remaining team
- The team with the most regular season points (higher seed) will host the team with the lowest points (lower seed)
MLS NEXT Pro Cup:
- The team with the most regular season points (higher seed) will host MLS NEXT Pro Cup